Wednesday, July 4, 2007

FOURTH OF JULY


HAPPY 4TH!!!

OK, feeling a wee big guilty because we are doing absolutely nothing today. I think it stems from my upbringing. I mean, come on, we always did something on the fourth. I remember when we were little, my Mom's side of the family all met at Grandma Silva's house in Coronado. We watched the Coronado parade, went swimming in the Coronado Pool, came back and ate Grandma's chili beans (best I've ever eaten), and Uncle George bbq'd hamburgers and hots dogs. I don't think we stayed for the fireworks, but I could be wrong. As we grew older and had our own families, activities varied. Sometimes we went to the Coronado Parade, bbq'd with my Aunt Flo, some went swimming, and some went to the air show, and then stuck around for the fireworks. Other 4ths we went over Donna's for a bbq and swim. Her family usually went to the J Street fireworks in the evening. Sometimes we went to Maggie and Sig's (JR's mom and dad) for swimming and bbq'ing. Anyway, the point is, we always did something! I mulled over having a bbq for a couple of weeks, but deep down didn't really want to do anything as I have to work the next day. I thought about inviting Trav's family, Sig and Tammy, and a couple of our friends, but in the end was too lazy to do anything. John and I will bbq our steaks and watch a movie. We are celebrating the 4th on Saturday with our friends Jan and Jer at their house. We are all hoping we will be able to make it for the Avi fireworks, which start at 9:00 and can be viewed from their backyard. John, Mike, Sig, Tammy, and I went to the firewords in Laughlin on Saturday. They were pretty good, and the weather was great, believe it or not, it was not too hot to sit out and watch them this year. Of course that was last week, this week it is about 115 or 120 down there!!! After the fireworks we listened to a band (The Matrix) at the Aquarius. They were really good and we all had a great time. I guess I will count that as our 4th of July celebration, because it isn't going to get any better than that today. However, I have to admit, I like staying home and vegging out. It's just the guilt factor I have a hard time contending with. I did poll several people at work and they were doing the exact same thing.....NOTHING!! Nonetheless, deep down, I still think the 4th is a time for family and celebration; however, this year I will just live with the guilt and enjoy myself.

Did anybody do anything on the 4th????? If so, please share, and let me live vicariously through you!!

Ciao, Baby

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Sorry, Linda - we are also doing absolutely nothing. I feel especially guilty because it is Caleb's first 4th of July! But I keep comforting myself with the fact that he won't remember it anyway.

Megan said...

No, we didn't get to go to the fireworks. Did see some of them from the front yard. Megan and Tim stopped by on their way to another bbq and we bbq'd bratwurst. Tim made some of the best baked beans around and right now they are on the way to pick me up to go see the fireworks in Eastlake. I'm much less exciting than they are, when they left I went grocery shopping. Ain't that an original way to spend the 4th. Yeah Linda I'm with you, I miss those busy 4th's sometimes. Oh well, time to pass the torch to another generation. :D